Thursday, August 19, 2010

Doctor's Orders - Vegetarian Quinoa

Earlier this week I went to an acupuncturist for my GERD and ulcers. When the treatment was over, the doctor told me that I had to eat vegetarian for three days. Plus, he added extra stipulations - nothing greasy, sweet, or raw. To say the least, this was an interesting challenge to add on to my already strict diet!

As you can tell from the recipes on this blog, I do sometimes eat vegetarian, but it’s usually just for one meal. I rarely go a day without eating meat, so I’m generally not concerned about having balance in my vegetarian meals. Now that I was going to be a three-day veggie, I had to pay more attention to nutrition.

I altered my quinoa recipe to make a one pot, nutrient-balanced, satisfying, vegetarian meal. I’ll be honest – it’s not the prettiest dish, but it was really tasty. I hope all of the vegetarians out there enjoy this dish.

And please, no notes about “keeping it up” – I’m too excited about the “Beef on Weck” I will be eating in Buffalo this Saturday!

Veggie Quinoa

Ingredients:
• One cup quinoa
• One and a half cups vegetable broth
• Quarter cup chopped onions
• Quarter cup chopped green bell pepper
• Half cup chopped spinach (note: I used frozen)
• Three quarters of a can of cannellini beans
• Teaspoon dried parsley (note: I usually use fresh, but I did not have it on hand)
• Teaspoon dried oregano
• One bay leaf
• One tablespoon canola oil
• Kosher salt

Heat oil in a pot and add onion, pepper, parsley, oregano, and a dash of salt.
When onion is sweating, add vegetable broth.
Stir in spinach and bay leaf, and bring to a boil.
Add quinoa.
Bring heat down to a simmer.
After ten minutes, add cannellini beans and stir.
Quinoa should be done in another ten minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment